After many agonizing weeks waiting and hanging on every shred of information leaking out of LEGO, finally the news broke and official images of the latest LEGO modular to join the family were released. What’s clear is 2018 is marking a new exciting change and shake up for the line up with LEGO moving away from the traditional turn of the century (cookie cutter) architecture and heading for the 1950’s with a funky diner, gym and music studio. I personally think this marks a great change and while there may be some purest who will dislike moving away from the comfort of conforming modulars it should be noted that a mixture of architecture and eras is more realistic for a city layout.
I also love the clever nod to the much loved juke box with the lovely curved sweeping design of the ground floor Diner extending up one side of the 3 level building capping off with more curves resembling a juke box. All the while still hiding a small hint of a modular in keeping with previous modulars architectural design. Let’s not overlook the cool little pink cadillac either! – for those minifgures who want to hit the town in style!
LEGO Creator Downtown Diner (10260) includes 2,480 elements, 6 x minifigures and will retail at AUD $249.99 / USD $169.99 / CAD $219.99 / GBP £129.99. General release is pegged for the 1st January 2018 (no VIP early access on this one folks!).
Another interesting shakeup is the change to stylised minifigure faces. The 10 year anniversary set last year (Assembly Square 10255) now seems to mark the end of the standard minifgure face in the modular line up. Maybe not such a big issue or change, but worth noting the departure from previous outings. The set comes with 6 x minifigures covering diner chef and waitress, boxer and gym buddy and LEGO’s very own Elvis wanna be and music studio manager.
Inside the set is split over three levels (excluding the roof not much there):
- Ground floor diner – Shout out to rock and roll diners of the 50’s with checkered floor, juke box and a clever use of the Palace Cinema star printed street tiles as wall plaques. Outside we have the standard pavement layout with the new inclusion of a post box, new flower elements (2018 release across several themes) and an external staircase to one side. This in turn means that the Diner doesn’t fill the whole width of 32×32 baseplate and when connected to other modulars can at first glance give the appearance of an alleyway. Lastly the diner is capped off with the massive flamboyant pink wording – Diner (just in case you think it’s a laundrette)!
- First floor boxing ring and gym – Finally the minifgures have an area they can spar and burn off some energy. The boxing ring is a real little gem and the small detail around such as the old school aircon unit attached to the window and water cooler really create something special here!
- Second floor music studio – We’ve had music shops and a whole variety of musical instruments (even Batman got involved), so it only seems fitting that we finally have our own music studio for the musically talented minifgures! What’s really clever is the soundproof recording booth incorporated into the top of the sweeping 50’s architecture design that crowns the 2nd floor and ties all the building to the ground floor diner.
Downtown Diner comes in just behind Brick Bank and takes up position as the 3rd biggest modular in the line up – Hence the slightly higher price (excluding Assembly Square monster).
As I’ve mentioned before I love the change of direction that Downtown Diner has taken and I can’t wait to get my hands on the set come early january.
Would be great to hear everyone’s thoughts on this one? I’ve got a feeling it is going to be like Vegemite/Marmite – “you either love it or hate it”
Full press release below:
10260 Downtown Diner
Ages 16+. 2,480 pieces.
US $169.99 – CA $219.99 – DE 149.99€ – UK £129.99 – DK 1399.00 DKK
*Euro pricing varies by country. Please visit shop.LEGO.com for regional pricing.
Discover a place where music is on the menu!
Drop in at the LEGO® Creator Expert 10260 Downtown Diner, where you’ll discover a healthy portion of fun and surprises. This impressive model features removable building sections for easy access to the detailed interior, which comprises a ground-level 1950s-style diner with a large curved front window, red bar stools, jukebox, counter and an open-plan kitchen. The mid level has a gym with boxing ring, punching bag and weight training room, while on the upper-level you’ll find a recording studio, complete with vocal booth, mixing desk and a refreshments cabinet. The facade of the building features pink-and-teal Streamline Moderne styling with a large ‘DINER’ sign. Other external features include arched windows, balconies and a staircase, plus a pink convertible car and a detailed sidewalk, complete with mailbox, parking meter, flowerpots and a streetlamp. This incredible collectible toy has been designed to provide a challenging and rewarding building experience with a touch of nostalgia and charm. Includes 6 minifigures.
- Includes 6 minifigures: a chef, waitress, boxer, rock star, manager and a bodybuilder.
- The 3-level Downtown Diner comes with an array of brick-built details, including a detailed facade with pink-and-teal Streamline Moderne styling and a large ‘DINER’ sign, external staircase, arched windows, drainpipe, balconies, decorative roofline, opening skylight and a rooftop terrace, plus a detailed sidewalk with a mailbox, parking meter, flowerpots and an ornate streetlamp. This set also includes a pink 1950s-style convertible.
- Ground level features 1950s downtown American diner styling with a large curved front window, red barstools, benches, jukebox, candy machine, counter, 2 soda dispensers, and a kitchen with a coffee machine, stove and a cooker hood.
- Mid-level features a gym with a boxing ring, punching bag, weight training room, water dispenser and a wall clock.
- Upper level features a recording studio complete with vocal booth, soundproofed walls, mixing desk and a refreshments cabinet.
- Take a ride in the stylish convertible and head for a diner where fast food and music are on the menu.
- Help the chef prepare the fastest food in town while the roller-skating waitress lines up the orders.
- Drop in at the gym for a couple of rounds in the boxing ring or a good workout on the punching bag.
- Open the skylight and eavesdrop on the making of a hit album.
- Accessory elements include roller skates, guitar, golden record award and a buildable barbell.
- Remove the building sections to access the detailed interior.
- New decorated elements include a decorated door, album cover, lots of teal-colored and pink-colored elements, and a dual-face minifigure with singing and smiling expressions.
- Special elements include new flower stalks and flower heads, plus 1×3 ‘jumper’ plates, 2×2 plate with 2 studs and a minifigure torso with boxing gloves.
- Collect and build an entire town with the LEGO® Creator Expert Modular Building series 10243 Parisian Restaurant, 10246 Detective’s Office, 10251 Brick Bank and 10255 Assembly Square.
- Measures over 13” (34cm) high, 9” (25cm) wide and 9” (25cm) deep.